Friday, May 13, 2016
“But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith…” 1 Timothy 6:11-12a
Yesterday, I shared with you that in order to move forward in life we must develop persistence. Today, I offer another “P” word that is a necessary ingredient in this recipe for successful advancement.
To pursue is to follow after something – often with great intensity. It means to run swiftly in order to catch a person or thing; to press on (figuratively of one who in a race runs swiftly to reach the goal).
God has called us to great things and we are to follow Him with great passion and focus, knowing that He has given us what we need to make it and to overcome every scheme of the enemy who doesn’t want us to enter into all that God has for us.
As the young pastor Timothy was moving forward in God’s will for his own life, Paul gave him some important instructions that we can glean from today:
Flee from evil and negative things and pursue after
- righteousness (simply stated, that which is right and honourable),
- godliness (doing what aligns with God’s word),
- faith (deepening our trust and belief in God and His word),
- love (learning to love God, ourselves and others better)
- patience (learning to trust God, developing self-discipline and thankfulness)
- gentleness (humbling ourselves and displaying self-restraint).
And lastly, “fight the good fight of faith” – whatever we do – don’t give up in this fight of faith. God is exactly who He says He is and you are exactly who He says too. You must believe it for your victory!
Man of God, woman of God, be encouraged today in your movement forward. Pursue after these things and go for prize! God is with us!