Friday, May 12, 2017
“God said to Solomon, “Because your greatest desire is to help your people, and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life, but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people— I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested.” 2 Chronicles 1:11-12a
Yesterday, I shared on the two types of wisdom that are available to us. There is EARTHLY wisdom which is full of bitter envy and selfish ambitions and is unspiritual, of the devil, and produces disorder and every evil practice (James 3:14-16).
There is also GODLY Wisdom that comes from above. What does this type of wisdom look like, and what does it produce in our lives if we apply it?
We return to James 3 and verse 17 for the answer:
But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.
This is the true type of wisdom. It has the following characteristics.
- It is PURE. There are no hidden, selfish motives.
- It is PEACE LOVING. It seeks to foster unity and oneness.
- It is GENTLE at all times. It does not support violent or rude behaviour.
- It is WILLING to YIELD to others. A wise person is sacrificial and teachable.
- It is FULL of MERCY. Love, compassion and grace are in operation.
- It is FULL of the FRUIT of GOOD DEEDS. It is productive and adds value to others.
- It shows NO FAVORITISM. It causes you to have love for all people.
- It is always SINCERE. There is no deceit nor hypocrisy in its demonstration.
Wisdom from the above is very different from earthly wisdom because it comes from GOD, and He is the center of it. It is based on truth and love, and it brings glory to Him as His children who apply it are able to make choices in life that are in line with His word and that reflect His heart. As earthly wisdom brings disorder, heavenly wisdom brings harmony, alignment and unity.
This is the true type of wisdom that we must desire and seek after. We want the type of wisdom which will enable us to be built up and to build up others as well. Let us continue to ask the Lord for His wisdom above all, and He has promised to give it.
Can you remember a time in your life where you received wisdom from above? What decision did you have to make? What was the outcome?